The earliest recorded use of this building was as the house of Charles Waterman, a tailor who lived here until 1841. From 1875 until 1899, the property was owned by Alfred White, a cooper who made and sold tubs, barrels, baskets and bowls to the people of Farnham.
Throughout the 20th century it has been a licensed property, most of the time as a restaurant. For a while it was used as a club by the local branch of The Royal British Legion, from 1928 until 1930, when it became a pub called The Old Mitre. The building was restored in 1929, during which a Tudor fireplace was discovered and reinstated. Legend has it that a girl dressed in grey now haunts 84 West Street, as she has been seen by that very fireplace on numerous occasions.
After many years of serving Austrian food and beer, in 1995 the restaurant was bought by the current owners and transformed into Caffé Piccolo. The low ceilings, oak panelling and broad staircase of this historic building help to make it one of the most atmospheric eating places in Farnham.